Monday, November 3, 2014

Misery - Movie Review

From Wikipedia:

Misery is a 1990 American psychological thriller film based on Stephen King's 1987 novel and starring James Caan, Kathy Bates, Lauren Bacall, Richard Farnsworth, and Frances Sternhagen. Directed by Rob Reiner, the film received critical acclaim for Bates's performance as the psychopathic Annie Wilkes, and Bates won the 1990 Academy Award for Best Actress for her role,making Misery, as of 2014, the only Stephen King adaptation to be an Oscar winning film.The film was ranked #12 on Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments.

My Review

It has been many years since I have read the book Misery, but I always remember how much I really enjoy it. Hopefully it won't be too long before I get the opportunity to read it again. But, my oldest is home from school today with pneumonia, so we decided to watch Misery - it was on one of our movie channels. 

We both have seen it before (me quite a few times, her only a few) but to be honest, I never get tired of it. I just read an interview with Stephen King in which he compares Annie Wilkes to cocaine...if you are interested in finding out why you should pick up the Rolling Stone and read it, it is excellent. When Paul Sheldon finishes his latest novel, he heads out in a horrible snowstorm, veering off the snow covered road. Thankfully (yeah right) Annie Wilkes comes across his car and drags him out, bringing him back to her home to mend him...after all, she does have a nursing background. At first, Paul is somewhat flattered that his #1 fan is the one taking care of him, even though he seems to know right away that something is a little off. But, he quickly realizes that she isn't only taking care of him, but holding him prisoner as well. 

James Caan is just ok as Paul Sheldon - I do feel that this role could have been better served. But, Kathy Bates won the Oscar for her portrayal of Annie Wilkes, and I will tell you it is extremely well deserved. 

If you haven't seen Misery, or think that because it is King you will be scared, I am here to tell you, you won't. But, please read the book first...I believe that this is necessary with all book/movie adaptations, but especially with King's. 

Have you read the book and/or seen the movie? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment