Thursday, December 15, 2016

Interview with Sarah Remy, author of The Bone Cave

the-bone-cave-banner

Inside the Book:

 the-bone-cave
Title: The Bone Cave
Author: Sarah Remy
Publisher: Harper Voyager Impulse
Genre: Sci-Fi/Fantasy
Format: Ecopy /Paperback

Past Stonehill Downs, beyond unforgiving scrubland and perilous mountain peaks, militant tribes gather on white sand . . .

With the Red Worm plague vanquished, and Malachi and Liam safely returned from Roue, Avani expects life in Wilhaiim to return to normal. But Mal has been changed by his journey across the long sea, and now walks dangerously close to the edge of madness, while the horrors of war in a foreign land have transformed Liam from a naïve lad to a young man seeking his place as sidhe among mortals.

And the plague has left chaos in its wake: Wilhaiim’s priests are rising against King Renault, a serial killer is taking vengeance on His Majesty's unwary subjects, and someone is using forbidden bone magic to kindle the Automata—mechanized monsters born of ancient necromancy.

As Avani works to contain unrest and expose a murderer, she is unaware that a far greater threat is rolling in from the east: a bloodthirsty desert army intent on destruction. Magic will be tested and friendship tried as Avani and Mal battle new peril and old temptation in this stunning follow up to Across the Long Sea.

  amazon

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
That I'm capable of writing in any surroundings no matter how busy if a deadline is pressing.
How many books have you written? Can you pick a favorite?
Five or six, now. My favorite is WINTER, a YA urban fantasy set in DC and Manhattan. I'm really attached to Winter as a character; he reminds me of myself. THE BONE CAVE is a close favorite. I'm enjoying the writing both Avani and Mal as they struggle with the temptation that comes with too much power. They both deal with that temptation in such different ways.
What do you think makes a great story?
An interesting character, a believable conflict, and a relatable resolution.
As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A veterinarian or an author. I'm not a vet, but I do have half a million animals. …maybe not that many. I've lost count.
What books have influenced your life the most?
Honestly, it changes depending on where I am in the adventure that is my life.  THE HOBBIT, when I read it in third grade, made me want to write fantasy. Harry Potter, when I read it in college, made me want to protect the magic that is my own individuality. Conan Doyle taught me about mysteries, Stephen King made me want to write monsters.
Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?
I'm late to Maggie Stiefvater, but I read all of THE RAVEN CYCLE in a five day break I took between deadlines and adored them. As someone who dreams vividly every night, I was fascinated by the idea of dreaming things - wonderful things and evil things both - into reality.
If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

I don't have a mentor; applications are open! 

MEET THE AUTHOR

In 1994 Sarah Remy earned a BA in English Literature and Creative Writing from Pomona College in California. Since then she’s been employed as a receptionist at a high-powered brokerage firm, managed a boutique bookstore, read television scripts for a small production company, and, more recently, worked playground duty at the local elementary school.

When she’s not taking the service industry by storm, she’s writing fantasy and science fiction. Sarah likes her fantasy worlds gritty, her characters diverse and fallible, and she doesn’t believe every protagonist deserves a happy ending.

Before joining the Harper Voyager family, she published with EDGE, Reuts, and Madison Place Press.

Sarah lives in Washington State with plenty of animals and people, both. In her limited spare time she rides horses, rehabs her old home, and supervises a chaotic household. She can talk to you endlessly about Sherlock Holmes, World of Warcraft, and backyard chicken husbandry, and she’s been a member of one of Robin Hobb’s longest-running online fan clubs since 2002.

Find Sarah on Twitter @sarahremywrites, and on Tumblr at huntpeck.

For More Information

Visit Sarah’s website.
Connect with Sarah
Social-Network-Twitter    

No comments:

Post a Comment