Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Interview with Jazmine Foxx, author of Just A Thought



Just a ThoughtTitle: Just a Thought
Author: Jazmine Foxx
Release Date: August 19, 2015
Publisher: Amazon Digital
Genre: Poetry
Format: Ebook

 The world is a complex place. You can only understand it through the lyrical lines of spoken word poetry written by Jazmine Foxx. Her debut poetry collection is a soulful, socially conscious work that challenges your mind, harmonizes with your heart, and sings with your spirit. Her stanzas enraptures you like a modern day Lauryn Hill with the pen as her microphone spitting knowledge and dropping science on the world, the love of our lives, and the inner landscape of a young woman. Her introductory poem, “Bookshelf” is a melodic prelude that flows smoothly into the book’s first section, “Socially Incorrect.” In “Socially Incorrect” and the second section, “Relationships,” Foxx takes social and relational issues head-on like Common prophesying on the corner. Just a Thought is raw emotion and profound thought that will motivate you to either pick up a pen and capture your life in stanzas or go out and change your world.  

ORDER INFORMATION
Just a Thought is available for order at  
amazon

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your book?
One of the most surprising things was how to push your creativity to a new level.  Before I became serious about publishing my book, I just wrote whatever feelings I wanted to express at the time.  The majority of my poems were based on prior relationships. After creating a theme and reasoning behind my book, it pushed me to write about topics I never considered writing about in the past.  I was amazed at some of the things I came up with.


How many books have you written? Can you pick a favorite?
This is first book so I'm going to pick one of my favorite poems at the moment– Address. It’s based on addressing the issues no one wants to talk about in a relationship. It then turns into the pink elephant in the room. Until one person either loses their pride and other person willing to listen with open ears you can’t address anything and move forward.


What do you think makes a great story?

Suspense! The story leading up to the climax of any story or book is the best part.  You get to imagine what the main character might do. In a good plot, you never really see or expect the outcome and I love to be thrown off guard with a good book or movie for that matter.


As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

I just made the discovery a few years ago, lol.  When I was younger, I never thought about the future in that context. I did not plan a Cinderella wedding at twelve, want to be or want to become a doctor, hell I didn’t care about going to college and I was a Junior in High School. If I put some serious thought into my dreams maybe my life would have been different. I just recently discovered what makes me happy at all weird hours of the night- Fashion.  Working towards creating silhouettes and attire that make a bold statement grasps my interest.  


What books have influenced your life the most?

Lean In, Women, Work, And The Will To Lead by Sheryl Sandberg  

Her personal story as an high-level executive at Facebook was captivating. It also inspired me to write Tiara Effect in my book. She mentioned women anticipating having a family first rather than go after their career and/or passion. This in turn leads many women not becoming to their full potential because they are sabotaging there career before it starts and the husband arrives in their lives.

48 Days To The Work You Love - Dan Miller
This book was the turning point in my life. I was at a job I hated and knew there was more to life than the repetitive task I've been doing for the past three years. It made me think about what interest me and what's the worst that could happen if I went after it. After actually seeing on paper what I was trying to overlook and tolerate, the book lead me to make some changes and I haven’t looked back since.


Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?
Currently no, but I did enjoy a short collection of essays by various authors - the book entitled The 10 Habits of Highly Successful Women. I feel it’s always good to read stories of other women successes, failures knowing you’re not alone in the world. It grasped my attention because it gives ten different points of view of successful women struggles and failures within the workplace or in their career.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment