Friday, December 19, 2014

Interview with Douglas Gardham, author of The Actor


The ActorTitle: The Actor
Author: Douglas Gardham
Publisher: iUniverse
Pages: 352
Genre: Fiction
Format: Ebook
Purchase at AMAZON
It is 1991 when Ethan Jones finally wins the role of his dreams in an upcoming, big screen movie. With the envelope holding the script clutched in his hand, he arrives at his California apartment where he can hardly wait to tell his girlfriend the exciting news. But when he finds the door unexpectedly ajar, he has no idea that in just a few seconds, the life he has fought so hard to obtain will be shattered.
Eight years earlier, Ethan is attending university in Ottawa, Canada. One evening after seriously contemplating suicide, he finds his way into a club where he meets Mila Monahan, a beautiful acting student who saves him from himself. After he watches Mila rehearse a university play, Ethan catches the acting bug and decides to pursue his own creative passions, causing a collision with his more secure ideals. But when Mila suddenly disappears, Ethan vows he will never stop chasing the dream she inspired in him, believing in a world entirely different from the one he is living in.
The Actor is a gripping tale of a young man’s unforgettable journey of self-discovery in overcoming the trauma of a personal tragedy. It is a story of love, hardship, persistence and overwhelming joy where The Actor learns he can portray anything he can imagine.

amazon


Douglas Gardham is a writer who loves music, movies, and books. He lives near Toronto, Canada, with his wife and dog. This is his first published novel.

How did you come up with the title of your book?

The concept for The Actor: A Novel came after seeing the Titanic movie and becoming fascinated with the idea of someone getting up from what they were doing and chasing dream. I love the movies and the world of Hollywood (a subject I never get bored of) so decided to make it the focus of the novel. The title came easily from there and was reinforced by one of the themes of how we are all actors in our lives.

What is your writing environment like?

Depends on what I’m doing. In writing and creating the story, I can be anyplace. I have a home office but often find myself at the kitchen table, a coffee shop, the living room. Wherever I have a pen and paper or can carry my laptop. Sometimes I listen to music. Whatever enables me to get the story out. Editing is usually in my home office or the living room as I find I need quiet. Unfortunately, I often find music distracting because I love it so much.

What are some of the best tools available today for writers?

Pen, paper, laptop w/writing software and the internet.

What inspires you to write?

I can’t help myself. There’s always something buzzing around in my head. Sometimes its words and phrases. Sometimes its story ideas. I love the act of writing—pen to paper. I like the puzzle of trying to write what you’re thinking, putting words into sentences and paragraphs and finally the story.

Did you learn anything while writing this book?

Words from the great John Irving “you write a good story but you edit a great story”. Also, how much creating a novel is like painting or sculpting. It takes time for the creation to take shape.

What is your favorite quality about yourself?

I like and care about people.

No comments:

Post a Comment